How to understand SEO Marketing
For me, SEO is the marketing of geomarketing: « Try to have the best place to get the attention from visitors »
Business is now more and more generated from Web, either by searching of information on the products or services or directly by selling in an e-commerce website.
The geo-marketing consists in analyzing the behavior of economic individuals by taking into account the concept of spaces.
The Web had changed the notion of space because Internet users search information by Internet and they buy more and more online. The positions on the search engines are now decisive to be visible and sell on the Web.
What are the characteristics of “geomarketing”?
Searching engine now is more like shopping street where they are shops all along the street. To attract your customers, a better location will be the key factor.
The tools or diverse applications of geomarketing:
- Like the studies of catchment area (area of commercial attraction of a point of sale), we find the same thing with the popularity of a key word measured with Google Keyword.
- The choice of the commercial localization, or the studies of potentials, or the division, we find all these things in the strategy of keywords to attract potential consumers, readers etc.
- The optimization of the means of direct marketing (direct-mail, phoning, e-mail…) with websites, newsletters, subscription to the RSS or others are ways to win the loyalty of clients/readers.
- Geomarketing has frequently recourse to geographic information systems to handle geographic data with computer tools. On the Internet, it’s really natural, with nothing more than Google Analytics we know where our readers/clients came from.
Another definition, geomarketing is the choice of optimal commercial localizations.
The Internet, it’s also a choice too and to make it you have to be well referenced. So my conclusion is: referencing is a subject full-fledged of geomarketing on the Internet.
A nice website, a quality blog, it’s good but it’s NOT the key to success.
The main factor of success is to be visible on the Web and the main source of visibility is to be on the top of the search engines.
Here is the Wikipedia definition: SEO is the action to reference, that is to say mention something or make a reference to it.
Today, its practice revolves, especailly in search tools, more precisely search engines and search lists, while this activity is in reality comparable to netlinking. Thus, it revolves around by the setting up of 2 distinct and complementary strategies: SEO and sponsored links.
The 1st strategy occurs with a phase of indexation (take into account) of the website by search tools, then by a positioning the phase of these websites on natural results when a research is made by Internet users. The 2nd one is like management of advertising budget.
The SEO, communication strategy, revolves around 3 axis: content, its form of publication and its popularity/notoriety on the Internet.
To help you understand SEO, the most interesting because it’s free, I will be based on a Google formula suggested by Randfish in 2006. Of course, this formula is old and approximate but it will help understand the basics of the methods of calculation of Google.
Google formula = (Score density of keywords * 0,3) + (Strength of domain name * 0,25) + (Weight of entering links * 0,25) + (Update * 0,1) + (Quality of the content *0,1) + (Google bonuses) – (Penalties)
In order to reference his blog / website on Google and on search engines, you have to take care of several points:
- Density of the keywords in the content
- In the title
- In the description tag
- Improvement (bold, italic) and the quality of interconnections, relevance of the extern links
- The relation between keywords and domain name and/or the URL
The power of the domain:
- History and age of the website
- Quality of the links directing to the domain name
- Theme in relation with inbound and outbound links of the domain
- Link of the domain with trustworthy websites
- Hosting of the domain name
- Age of the links
- Quality of the links
- Relevance of the linked webpages
- Name of the links on the linked webpages
- Harmony of the links with the theme of the website
- Links to trustworthy websites (with an high page rank)
Quality of the content
Having unique content is what Google appreciate. In addition, making links to your articles with interconnection or external links which redirects to your articles. Writing quality articles will allow that other bloggers will quote you in their sources.
Update its posts, from time to time, a blog with new articles regularly, these are small details which allow to win positions.
The comments on the posts are useful to update automatically your articles (for Google). It’s thus important to have an interactive website.
Beyond debates that can have referencing people, the value of moderation coefficients, I think that this formula is really interesting and helps in the understanding and the perception of some of the mechanisms of SEO on Google.
- Be careful with the keywords, do not hesitate to make repetitions, rename pictures with keywords of your articles, and name the URL of your articles with precise words for the referencing.
- Put links to your best articles that you want to show up in the referencing process.
- Make quality articles to hope to be relayed or quote by fair-play bloggers.
- Be aware and read every tip of the referencing people on the forum webrankinfo for example.
Another stage for me will be to understand the differences between Chinese search engines, like Baidu, the chinese leader (and by far).
Do not hesitate to interact or bring further information (I’m not an expert of this field, just a lover).