Use Social Media to Attract more Chinese Travellers
Today, tourism professionals have a common problem: how to attract the high-end Chinese traveler?
What is a Chinese high end traveler?
“Chinese high-end luxury traveler” can be defines as people who want to live a new experience and immerse oneself in the new destination by indulging in the best level of attentive and personal service, sumptuous accommodation, informative guides with luxury shopping available for self and family/friends.
Among the high-end Chinese traveler, 70% of them use the Internet to search and book their flights. So, this is where you should be if you want to attract those Chinese travelers. The disappointment from the local travel agencies who offer basic luxury travels is also the reason why many of them are turning towards the net for online bookings.
It is important to remember that not all of them can speak English, so they would prefer a local guide who can speak with them. They expect not only opulence but also comfort that they will have right from the beginning b to the end of the trip. Luxury does not just mean “comfort” or “brand” but the ability to rely on someone with the knowledge of the country. The Chinese are ready to pay more for a good service quality.
Hence, social media is the best way to attract them but imagine a country with the largest population of the world, which has not Twitter or Facebook.
How are you going to reach more than 500 million people?
Use the social media
– Website in Chinese: A Chinese website is the basic step to attract the Chinese traveler. If you have a website in China that offers information on the destination, the travel attractions, the hotels and the restaurants, they will be ready to engage.
– Weibo: It is a mix of Twitter and Facebook in China. Though Weibo is more versatile and is very popular among Chinese. Weibo is a powerful tool to attract the Chinese traveler. Apart from Weibo, the Chinese also uses WeChat.
– Youku: It can be compared with YouTube in France. It is the most popular site to view videos online in China. As YouTube is blocked in China, this is the place where you can display your tourism videos.
– Search Engine Optimization: To get good rankings on Baidu (China’s Google) as Baidu covers 80% of the market share.
– Web marketing: Make a site in Chinese so the Chinese can read it and the content should be unique. Add beautiful images and videos. It is very easy to get a website for a low budget with a good ROI (return on investment).
– DPR (digital press relation): Investing in DPR will be a good strategy for your brand and will help you to promote your destination to the travelers. Online PR is not just fast in terms of diffusion but good articles and reviews from customers will boost your site.
– Key Opinion Leader or Stars: If you want to attract the Chinese travelers, then KOLs (Key Opinion Leader) will be a very useful tool. These leaders are not just trusted but respected as well and they also give a strong influence.
– SEM: Pay them per display or click. Pay a budget to get visitors to come to your site.
– BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) campaign: BBS are the center of the Chinese Internet community. Most of the Chinese use BBS to get their information on their preferred destination.
But do not just rely on online media because social media is more than online. You can use these social media as well: Android, iPhone, iPad applications or Press Release Localization or contest Campaign.
Even airports are using social media to attract the travelers. For example, Melbourne Airport helps the travelers by helping them to plan their trip and provides them deals on their Twitter’s feed. Organise game, event can also be a successfull strategy in China.
This example shows how social media can be used to attract Chinese travelers to your benefit.